Open Rank Professor of Theology
The Dominican School of Philosophy & Theology in Berkeley, California,
is expanding its department of Theology and invites applications for an open-rank Professor position beginning in Fall 2022. Applications are encouraged with specializations in Systematic Theology, Moral Theology, Biblical Studies, and/or Church History.
The successful candidate will:
• have earned a doctorate (PhD, STD, or equivalent) by Summer 2022;
• teach four graduate courses per year on the semester system that will serve DSPT’s student
body and programmatic needs, as well as our broader GTU and UC Berkeley communities;
• show significant familiarity with and affinity for the Thomistic tradition of philosophy and theology;
• develop a research agenda that leads to peer-reviewed publications;
• direct (commensurate with experience) and participate on comprehensive exam, thesis, and dissertation committees;
• have or be willing to develop expertise in rigorous and engaging online education;
• provide service to the school as appropriate to rank;
• seek membership in the GTU’s Core Doctoral Faculty when eligible.
The Dominican School of Philosophy & Theology, a member of the Graduate Theological Union, is a community of scholars committed to the pursuit of truth as revealed in the Gospel and discovered by human reason. Inspired by the Dominican practice of disciplined inquiry and learned preaching, the School draws its students into the rich tradition of classical philosophy and Catholic theology,especially as exemplified by St. Thomas Aquinas, and from this tradition engages contemporary scholarship and culture in mutual enrichment.
Both as a Center of Studies of the Order of Preachers and an apostolate of the Western Dominican Province, the mission of the School is to prepare religious, clerics, and laity for academic and apostolic vocations.
DSPT grants Master of Arts degrees (in Philosophy or Theology) and the Master of Divinity degree, and is launching a hybrid, mostly-online Master of Arts in Theology for Ecclesial Mission; see https://www.dspt.edu/academic-programs. DSPT renews faculty contracts on a year-to-year basis.
How to Apply
For the initial round of applications, please send a CV and cover letter stating your qualifications and
prospective fit at DSPT to email@example.com. Applicants’ identity and materials submitted will
be held in confidence by the search committee.