Full-Time Regular Professor Position in Sacred Scripture
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University, Menlo Park, CA
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University (STPSU) invites applications for a full-time regular professor position in the Sacred Scripture Department beginning July 2023. STPSU is the Roman Catholic Seminary of the Archdiocese of San Francisco; candidates for the position must support the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the seminary’s mission to prepare men for the priesthood.
The successful candidate will possess:
- An SSD, SSL; or STD or PhD with an emphasis on Exegesis/Biblical Studies
- The ability to teach a variety of core courses in the Sacred Scripture Department, in Old Testament (Pentateuch & Historical Books, Prophets; Wisdom Literature) or New Testament (Synoptic Gospels; Johannine Writings, Pauline Corpus; Hebrews, Catholic Epistles, & Revelation)
- Ability to teach Greek and/or Hebrew
- Proven potential for excellence in scholarship
- A commitment to a liberal education and familiarity with the Catholic intellectual tradition
- An ability to receive a canonical mission, including a willingness to take the Oath of Fidelity
- Ecclesiastical degree (especially SSD or SSL)
- Roman Catholic priest
- Ability to draw from and synthesize the best insights of patristic, medieval, and contemporary exegesis
- Willingness and aptitude to serve as a formational advisor and/or spiritual director to seminarians
- Familiarity with priestly formation
Duties include teaching 4 - 5 courses a year (2/2 or 3/2) in the MDiv, STB, and MA (Theology) Programs at STPSU, holding office hours, performing department administrative work, and participating in assessment activities.
Candidates should submit (i) a letter of application that addresses how the candidate will make a positive contribution to STPSU’s mission; (ii) a curriculum vitae; (iii) transcripts of all graduate work; (iv) three letters of recommendation, submitted separately by recommenders; (v) teaching evaluations (as applicable). Candidates who are ABD may apply but must provide assurance of degree completion by July 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Questions may be addressed and applications may be submitted to:
Dr. Margaret Turek, STD, Academic Dean
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University
320 Middlefield Rd.
Menlo Park, CA 94025