CBA's Verbum Emerging Scholars Fellowship
Established 2016. Verbum Partnership established 2023.
The Catholic Biblical Association of America (CBA) and Verbum invite applications for the annual CBA's Verbum Emerging Scholars Fellowship. This award is a graduate student award given to four emerging scholars who show promise and appear likely to make significant contributions to the field of Biblical studies. The CBA is a scholarly organization devoted to supporting biblical scholars from all traditions. Researchers share their scholarship during the Association's Annual Meeting and in its publications (Catholic Biblical Quarterly, the CBQ Monograph Series, CBQ Imprints, and Biblical Studies from the CBA).
The award enables Fellows to attend the CBA Annual General Meeting (AGM), to present their scholarship, and enjoy the company and conversation of scholars in the field.
NEXT application deadline is January 15, 2024.
- up to $750 travel reimbursement* for travel to the CBA Annual General Meeting (AGM)
(*the travel reimbursement is increased to cover economy airfare from where foreign fellows are to the location of the AGM)
- conference registration
- room and board (onsite) at the conference provided at host institution
- candidacy for membership in the CBA (one year of dues waived after vote during AGM Business Meeting), including subscription to The Catholic Biblical Quarterly.
- honorarium of $220
- Verbum Academic Professional Electronic Library
- the opportunity to publish a Verbum Edition of their completed work (pending a licensing agreement with their primary publisher.)
The award is contingent on attending and presenting at the CBA Annual General Meeting. At the meeting, fellows will present their papers and have the opportunity to encounter high-quality scholarship and a hospitable environment in which to develop relationships with other scholars in the discipline.
- be enrolled in a doctoral program in the Biblical field
- not have the doctoral degree in hand as of the application deadline (January 15)
- be able to attend and present at the forthcoming CBA Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- have two recommendations from faculty who are current faculty in the applicant's doctoral program.
ON or BEFORE JANUARY 15
1) Send the following materials attached in a SINGLE e-mail to CBAfellowship@CUA.edu
- Text of an academic paper to be presented in a 30-minute time period
- Current CV
- Completed Application Form
2) Arrange for the Recommendation Form to be sent to prospective recommenders.
Fellowships will be awarded to those showing the potential to make a serious contribution in the Biblical field.
Confirmation that the e-mail and materials were received will be given by the CBA Office within 5 days. If you do not receive confirmation, notify the CBA office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.