Visiting Faculty: Sacred Scripture
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University (STPSU)
Applications are being accepted for a one-year full-time, visiting faculty position in the Sacred Scripture Department beginning in Fall 2019, with the possibility of conversion to a full-time, continuing position. STPSU is the Roman Catholic Seminary of the Archdiocese of San Francisco; candidates for the position must support the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the seminary’s mission to prepare men for the priesthood.
The successful candidate will possess:
- An SSL, SSD, or STD or PhD with an emphasis on Scripture/Biblical Studies
- The ability to teach a variety of core courses in the Sacred Scripture Department, in Old Testament (e.g. Pentateuch & Historical Books; Prophets; Wisdom Literature) or New Testament (Synoptic Gospels; Johannine Writings; Pauline Corpus; Hebrews, Catholic Epistles, & Revelation)
- A commitment to a liberal education and familiarity with the Catholic intellectual tradition
- An ability to receive a canonical mission
- Mastery of biblical languages
- Ecclesiastical degree (especially SSD or SSL)
- Roman Catholic priest and/or member of Catholic religious order
- Willingness to serve as a formational advisor and/or spiritual director to seminarians
- Ability to teach Greek and/or Hebrew
- Familiarity with priestly formation
Duties include teaching 5 courses a year (2/3) in the MDiv, STB, and MA (Theology) Programs at STPSU, holding office hours, performing department administrative work, and participating in assessment activities.
Candidates should submit (i) a letter of application that addresses how the candidate will make a positive contribution to STPSU’s mission; (ii) a curriculum vitae; (iii) transcripts of all graduate work; (iv) three letters of recommendation, submitted separately by recommenders; (v) teaching evaluations (as applicable). Candidates who are ABD may apply but must provide assurance of degree completion by August 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Questions may be addressed and applications may be submitted to:
Karen C. Chan, Ph.D.
St. Patrick’s Seminary & University
320 Middlefield Rd.
Menlo Park, CA 94025