May 16, 2014
TO THE MEMBERS OF THE CATHOLIC BIBLICAL ASSOCIATION
Dear CBA Member:
The Seventy-Seventh International Meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association will be held at Providence College, July 26-29, 2014 (Saturday-Tuesday).
Registration is open now at this link: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1226/index.aspx?sid=1226&gid=1&pgid=2923&cid=5144
All costs and options are listed on the registration form. Indicate your preferences and click to submit to Providence College. Note there is free Wi-fi and a limited extended stay is available. Click here for an information sheet regarding housing options.
Hotel accommodations also are available at a $169 (plus tax) nightly rate at the Marriott Providence Downtown. To reserve a room at the Marriott, call 866-807-2171 requesting the CATHOLIC BIBLICAL ASSOCIATION group rate. The conference is not offering a shuttle service to and from the Providence Airport. Click here for an information sheet regarding travel to Providence College.
- Since Continuing Seminars and Task Forces are scheduled at the same time, those who expect to attend Task Force meetings should not sign up for a Continuing Seminar.
- The Task Force format will be the same as in past years. Members of the core groups will have exchanged papers beforehand and will discuss them at their three sessions during the meeting; toward the end of each session the discussion will be expanded to include the circle of auditors.
- If you plan to attend Task Force meetings it is not necessary to sign up in advance.
- There will be four Task Forces this year, as follows:
1) "The Social Sciences and New Testament Interpretation: Investigations into Kinship"—Co-conveners: Patrick J. Hartin, Gonzaga University and Joan C. Campbell, C.S.M., Atlantic School of Theology
2) "Biblical Hermeneutics: Biblical Hermeneutics and Cultural Studies"—Co-convening with Feminist Biblical Hermeneutics on Day 2 (Monday, July 28, 2014) Co-conveners: Richard J. Bautch, St. Edward's University and Jean-François Racine, Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
3) "Feminist Biblical Hermeneutics"—Co-convening with Biblical Hermeneutics: Biblical Hermeneutics and Cultural Studies on Day 2 (Monday, July 28, 2014) Co-Conveners: Ahida E. Pilarski, St. Anselm College and Sheila E. McGinn, John Carroll University
4) "John's Gospel and the Old Testament"—Co-conveners: Lawrence E. Frizzell, Seton Hall University and Gregory Y. Glazov, Seton Hall University
- Click here to download the form.
- Seven Continuing Seminars are to be offered:
1) "Purity and Sacrifice in Second Temple Judaism and Emerging Christianity: Jonathan Klawans and the Study of Second Temple Ritual" —Co-conveners: John J. Clabeaux, Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary and Gregory Tatum, O.P., École Biblique
2) "The Deuterocanonical Books" —Co-conveners: Jeremy Corley, St. Patrick's College Maynooth and Geoff D. Miller, St. Louis University
3) "Divinity in Ancient Israel" —Convener: John L. McLaughlin, University of St. Michael's College
4) "The Synoptic Gospels: Texts and Contexts" —Co-conveners: Séamus G. O'Connell, St. Patrick's College, Maynooth an Brigid Curtin Frein, University of Scranton
5) "God and Scripture in 1-2 Corinthians" —Co-conveners: Robert F. O'Toole, S.J., Gregorian University Foundation and Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
6) "Hebrew Poetry Seminar: Psalms 141-145" —Co-conveners: Joseph E. Jensen, Trinity College, Washington D.C. and Pauline A. Viviano, Loyola University, Chicago
7) "The Bible in Its Traditions Research Programme: First Achievements on Hosea and James" —Co-conveners: Rev. Olivier-Thomas Venard, O.P., Rev. Kevin Stephens and Rev. Marcel Sigrist, École biblique de Jérusalem.
- Click here to download the form.
The 2015 annual meeting will be held at Xavier College, Louisiana. In 2016 our meeting will be held in the West. At the moment we do not have an institution to host the 2016 meeting. Members connected with institutions in the West with appropriate facilities are urged to bring to the attention of their administrations the advantages of hosting a CBA meeting. Information on facility requirements, etc., will be sent on request.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Joseph C. Atkinson